Tuesday, August 20, 2013

The End of 43--It's My Birthday Week, Part 2

I'm celebrating my 44th birthday tomorrow, so I'm taking the week to reflect on a few things I learned this last year.

Last year's birthday post was a bit darker.  Funny how much difference one year can make.

Yesterday I wrote about my photography class and how much joy I've felt as my skills have improved.

Today, I have a confession and an accomplishment.

I consider myself a lover of the scriptures. I completed all four years of Seminary in high school and took many different religion classes at BYU.  I've taken Institute in our area too many years to count (probably close to ten different courses). I've taught all four Gospel Doctrine classes (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Church History/Doctrine and Covenants), Relief Society, Primary, and Young Women.  I've taught at EFY and substituted in Seminary, and I even taught an entire year of Institute in our area.

So, what am I talking about?

I must admit that never once in my life have I ever read the entire Old Testament.  I'm embarrassed to divulge my secret, but it's time to come clean.

Never once, that is, until 3:15 pm yesterday, when I read the final verse of Zephaniah (why Zephaniah was read after Malachi I don't really know). It took me thirteen months.

All the law.  All the prophets.  All the psalms.  All of it.

It may not be the biggest accomplishment ever, but I did learn a lot about the Jewish people, their traditions, and the history surrounding their captivity and their return to Jerusalem.

I also learned that there is much in the scriptures left for me to learn and to study, even though I feel like I've learned it all before.

1 comment:

  1. Big achievement to actually DIGEST the Old Testament. Congratulations! If I am still teaching Gospel Doctrine next year I will be asking for help.

    ReplyDelete