Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Milestones--Installment #1

Eve knows how to roll over.
This is the milestone I dread. For a few days (and unfortunate nights), they end up in positions that startle them, that make them not sleep. Admittedly, I do not follow the guidelines "back to sleep."
Now she can no longer sleep in the cradle.  No longer sleep in our bathroom, close to me.
When babies are born, moms can't help but think, "I can't wait until Baby can . . . (smile, giggle, walk, talk, etc.)."  I find myself wishing her world would stop.  Or just slow down.  That I could enjoy the moments more and appreciate what a gift a baby is.
Never again will I use the cradle to gently rock one of my babies to sleep.  It will be banished to the back of the storage closet again.  I've been here every day, and already the cradle stage is over.  Where does the time go?  Where was I?  Immersed in the lives of five other kids, not watching her every breath.  Sigh.

I can't wait until she learns to sleep through a startling roll-over . . .
Then I'll freeze time.
blog

8 comments:

  1. I love this post! I miss the cradle stage already too...keep it out! I haven't been able to put away the baby's Christening gown from last Sept. All my babies were Baptized in it and there probably won't be any more until my kids have kids...Yes, I wish we could freeze time too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter-in-law, who just had her last baby two years ago (doctor's orders) had this same feeling...She wished time could just stop and let him be a baby for at least an extra year.

    Now he's a toddler, but that stage is passing quickly, too. (And of course, she wishes she could slown that down a bit.)

    Ironic how those baby days demand all the energy and coping skills we can muster, yet letting go of them is the hardest thing in the world.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, those roll overs in the night are no good. Max was quite traumatized by them for a good week when he started. I just shoved a bunch of stuff around him so he couldn't roll over and we could all sleep. Sweet post, and so true. Time goes too quickly for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My youngest granddaughter is at that exact stage of learning to roll over, and my daughter said the same thing: she wished she could just keep her this way. When my kids were small I wanted to hug and squeeze them - hoping they would stay small and sweet just awhile longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put the cradle in the back of the closet and then you will pull it out for Heidi and all of the other grandchildren - most of my Parents Grandchildren used the same cradle - I cannot believe how fast Eve is growing! I have to come and hold her more often.

    Love ya,

    ReplyDelete
  6. It goes so fast doesn't it? I wish I could stop time every now and then.
    Just found your little world through Pam's blog. What a beautiful busy home you must have! Looking forward to following along.
    Julie @ juliejohnsonblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously teared up reading this one. Time rushes by too quickly and all the "little" milestones are really are HUGE.

    I'm raising my diet coke and issuing a toast, "Here's to living in the moment & enjoying all the little ordinary moments of our lives."

    ((HUGS))
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete